Are you interested in learning how to rank your videos on Youtube and Google?
Then you’re in the right place.
In this in-depth guide, you will get 11 ultimate tips to boost your Youtube SEO.
Table of Contents
What is YouTube SEO?
YouTube SEO is the process of optimizing your YouTube channel to get more views and subscribers organically.
The primary objective of YouTube SEO is to increase the chances of your video appearing on the first page of Youtube search results and therefore being more visible to potential viewers.
The way your videos will appear in YouTube rankings is determined by a complex algorithm.
Why is YouTube SEO so Important?
YouTube SEO is one of the most important aspects of your video because it helps you rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPs).
YouTube SEO is so important because YouTube is the second most popular search engine after Google. Therefore, if your website isn’t ranking well on YouTube, it’s likely that your website won’t be ranking well anywhere else on the web.
To be a successful YouTuber, you must use proper video SEO techniques to make your videos rank higher. You can’t just upload your videos and expect them to automatically rank.
You can have the best product or website on the market, but it’s useless if people cannot find you! Many people just give up when trying to get some traffic and then think that it’s too expensive to hire someone to do it for them.
How Does YouTube Rank Video Content?
YouTube ranks video content by using a variety of algorithms, including video quality, engagement, and viewership.
The main factors that YouTube uses to rank videos are:
- Video Quality – YouTube uses video quality to determine the importance of a video. The higher the quality of your videos, the more likely they will be ranked higher.
- Engagement – YouTube looks at how engaged your viewers are with your content. Active viewers are more likely to comment and share your videos.
- Viewership – YouTube also considers how many people have subscribed to your channel.
11 Ultimate Guide For Youtube Video SEO
Now I’m going to share 12 YouTube SEO tips to help you rank YouTube videos quickly. Let’s get started!
1. Do Keyword Research for Youtube Video
Researching keywords for videos is entirely different from researching keywords for blog posts. That’s because keywords having hundreds of searches in Google may not be searched on youtube.
Interestingly, most traffic comes from suggested videos and browse features. Later in this guide, I’ll show you how to optimize for these features.
Whenever you create a video, you should research keywords, just like you do with any other piece of written content on your website.
I suggest targeting low-competitive keywords if your YouTube channel does not have many subscribers. This will allow you to drive high-quality traffic to your videos.
How to do Keyword Research for Youtube?
Keywords can be found in various ways depending on the niche. The cost and effectiveness of each course vary considerably. Here are a few tips on finding relevant keywords:
- Make use of YouTube’s autocomplete feature. Simply start typing any word into the YouTube search bar, and YouTube will list several related keywords.
- You can find keywords from other popular videos. Use the “View Page Source” feature of your browser. The hypertext markup language (HTML) source code will open up a new window. Use “Ctrl + F” or “Command + F” to search for “keywords.”, This will highlight all the keywords found in the video.
- Use Tube Buddy – It is a free tool that helps you in keyword research. By entering a topic here, you can estimate the search volume, along with a weighted and unweighted competition score.
- Use Google Keyword Planner – It is an excellent keyword research tool for Youtube channels. Using this Google Keyword Planner, you can find all related search terms with high traffic volume according to suggestions from various sources.
- YouTube Analytics could be a goldmine for keyword research because you can see the exact keywords people are using to search for your videos.
- Use VidIQ’s Keyword Tool for keyword research.
2. Create Top-Quality Youtube Content
The most important factor for the success of your channel is creating top-quality content.
The internet provides you with endless possibilities to create and share high-quality videos, which can turn into massive traffic generators when it’s shared on social networks.
Do not just upload random short clips or low-resolution video footage that will get lost quickly in search engine results pages (SERPs). Instead, make sure that your videos are well structured.
Be innovative and create original content; don’t just show the same things repeatedly to gain traffic from search engines.
3. Optimize the Title of Youtube Video
The title of your video matters a lot to Youtube SEO because people use the thumbnail and title of the video to decide whether to watch your video.
Just as you optimize your titles for written content, you do the same for Youtube.
Best Practices for Video Title Optimization:
- Vidoe title must include a focus keyword
- It should be able to explain how watching your video will benefit your audience.
- Use Attention-Grabbing Words
- Don’t use clickbait titles.
Clickbait Title: How to rank your video in 5 minutes
Perfect Title: How to rank your video – 5 Simple Steps
4. Optimize the Video Description
Video descriptions are metadata that help YouTube understand a video’s content.
You should use video descriptions to provide more information about your video. Videos with the
keyword-rich optimized descriptions help rank videos in the Youtube search results, which allows you to get organic views from Youtube.
Best Practices for Video Description Optimization:
- Descriptions for videos should be long and thorough (200 words or more)
- Included your keyword at the beginning of your description
5. Use Youtube Tags
Tags on YouTube (also called “video tags“) are words and phrases used to provide context to a video. These tags help improve your video SEO and get more views.
Best Practices for Youtube Tags Optimization:
- Use long-tail keywords as targeted tags
- Don’t use dozens of tags
- You can generate tags with an online tag generator
6. Focus on the First 10 Seconds
For one simple reason: the first impression is the most important.
Some believe the first impression is the last impression.
The initial view is critical in getting more organic views on Youtube. This will increase your chances of being recommended by other people who have viewed that exact video.
7. Use Eye-Catching Thumbnails
Thumbnail images act as the cover pictures of your YouTube video. Thumbnails are an essential part of SEO because they help people decide whether or not to click on your video.
Best Practice for Thumbnail:
- The ideal YouTube thumbnail size is 1280 pixels by 720 pixels.
- Keep thumbnail images under 2MB.
- Don’t use misleading images or titles
- Experiment with different thumbnail designs
8. Upload a Transcript
Transcription is a great way to add additional value to your video and help people understand what you’re saying. It allows YouTube to understand the topic of your video.
I have found that video transcripts make it easier for native and non-native speakers to follow and understand the video. Making those video transcriptions available in multiple languages can result in a massive payout in the future.
By creating video transcripts, you can make your content more accessible to a larger group of people.
Best Practice for Video Transcript:
Make sure the transcription is accurate and free of grammar mistakes.
9. Do Channel’s Branding and Messaging
The YouTube platform is flooded with billions of videos, but how can brands stand out?
The answer is BRANDING.
It’s important to make sure your branding and messaging align with your channel’s brand. Doing so will help people understand your message and create a stronger connection with you.
Best Practice for Channel Branding:
Use consistent colors, fonts, and graphics throughout all of your content.
Avoid using ads or sponsorships that clash with the tone or style of your channel.
10. Add Call to Action in Channel Header
The channel header is the first thing people see when they browse your YouTube channel. It’s a significant opportunity to create a strong impression and set the tone for your channel.
Best Practice for Youtube Channel Header:
- Recommended YouTube banner size is 2560 x 1440
- Make use of bright colors, graphics, and fonts.
- Inform users about your content calendar
11. Create Playlists on Your Youtube Channel
YouTube playlists are collections of videos organized to make it easier for users to watch them, but many YouTubers undervalue playlists. Playlists provide a variety of hidden benefits that are often ignored.
If you want to maximize your presence, Youtube Playlist is a solution. It is a collection of youtube videos.
Benefits of Creating a Youtube playlist:
- Playlists are a great way to organize your content and make it more discoverable.
- Playlists describe your channel to viewers
- They are designed to save time and provide value to the viewers
- Viewers may watch more content if you offer them related videos in a playlist.
- Content appears multiple times for the keywords because playlists are indexed separately from videos.
Browse more SEO Tutorials:
- Image SEO Tips for Beginners
- Pogo sticking: How to Improve it for SEO
- 6 Quick Ways to Improve Page Loading Speed for Good SEO
- Update Old Blog Posts for SEO [11-Step Guide]
FAQ about Youtube SEO
What is the Secret to Getting Your Videos Ranked on Google?
First, you need to know that many factors determine where your videos rank on Google. The number one factor is whether or not the video is relevant to a user’s search query.
Is YouTube SEO Necessary in 2022?
Yes, it is very important. You can’t just upload a video and expect it to get ranked on the first page of Google search results. There are a lot of factors that determine what gets ranked and what doesn’t. So you need to follow some guidelines when creating your videos to be successful.
Youtube is an excellent platform for individuals and businesses that want to create videos. Creating your own channel will help you gain more followers, views, subscribers, and, most importantly, money!
You should find this guide helpful in Youtube SEO optimization. We welcome your questions in the comments below.